‘I’m not fulfilled yet’

Not only is she beautiful, she also has what it takes to be an entertainer. She is not the loud type but her works speak volume and tells who she is. Beverly Naya is a fast rising actress who interprets her roles very well. In this interview with Saturday Sun, she talks about her life and career.

How has life been as an actress?
 Great! I have been working on some interesting projects for the past few months. They should all be in cinemas at some point this year. I have three movies entitled Weekend Gateway produced by Emen Isong and directed by Desmond Elliot, Alan Poza directed by Charles Novia and Up Creek Without A Paddle directed by Tarila Thompson.

What is Beverly doing at the moment?
 I am currently acting as the lead in another great film alongside some very talented and established actors. Aside that, I have two other productions, one in Atlanta and the other in New York. My fans can also get up-to-date information on what I am doing as well as more insight into my life by following me on Twitter.

What is your daily life experience like?
 It depends. If I don’t have any prior engagements, then I love to hang out with my friends, explore new restaurants and just basically have a good time. I also enjoy being at home and just relaxing with my family. I try to exercise regularly by jogging around my estate.

Would you say that you are fulfilled?
 No, I am constantly growing and learning. I am definitely not fulfilled yet. There is so much more that I intend to achieve and I am very excited about the journey.

If you had not gone for acting, what would you have gone for?
 I would have still been arts oriented, probably directing music videos as well as films.

Nowadays, young girls go into acting. What could be the reason for that?
 It could be passion, money or fame. Everybody has her own unique reasons. I cannot go into the mind of every female to find out. For me, I am acting because I am passionate about it since I was 17.

What are your challenges as an upcoming actress?
 Naturally, I can be quite shy. I used to get so nervous to the extent that I found it quite difficult to network at events.

How did you overcome such challenges?
 Over time, I learnt how to just smile, network and be free. I have realised how friendly and welcoming most people are in the industry. Right now, I am glad that I was able to overcome that challenge.

What is your selling point? I mean, what would one see and will be pleased to give you jobs?
 My confidence. I always know exactly what I want and I go after it. I don’t believe in ‘can’t’ or ‘no’. I believe in myself, my talent, perseverance and determination.

How often do you get jobs?
 Quite often. If for any reason I am not busy, I create one thing that would keep me busy. I have a second class upper degree in film making and a first degree in script writing from Roehampton University, London.

How many jobs have you done so far?
 I may not be able to remember all, but let me tell you just few. I did Home In Exile, Make Me A Heart, Guilty Pleasures, Dark Waters, Dying Rose, King’s Will, Weekend Getaway, Alan Poza, Up Creek Without A Paddle.

Which of them brought you to limelight?
 Most of them have not been released but I would say my first movie, Home In Exile which was directed by Lancelot Imasuen. I won Most Promising Talent (Bon Awards 2010) and Fastest Rising Actress at the City People Awards in 2011.

Aside acting, what else do you do?
 I model occasionally. I also do MC at events and write scripts at my spare time.

What are you doing in order to make a name for yourself in the industry?
 I am constantly researching and figuring out ways to learn new things and gain more experience. I read many books about my craft and always study the movies of my favourite actors, especially Angelina Jolie and Edward Norton. Besides that, I am continuously reinventing myself mentally and physically through how I dress, how I think and the new goals I set for myself. I do this to ensure that I am memorable and unique.

Women are envious and jealous in nature. In the industry, are there people you are not in talking terms with?
 Not at all.

If you go for audition and you are not casted, how do you feel?
 Rejection comes with the profession. You get over it and keep trying.

What are the pranks you played as a child?
 I am an only child; so, I have always been used to my own company but I must admit I was quite mischievous. I remember one incident in secondary school, our headmistress was addressing all the students and I took it upon myself to shine a red laser all over her body which made the entire school giggle. The teachers couldn’t figure out who was doing it until I stupidly shun the laser in the headmistress’ eyes. She instantly looked directly at me filled with rage, all the teachers and students followed her gaze. I immediately knew I was in a whole lot of trouble.

Are you married?
 No

Who is your ideal man?
 Someone ambitious, dedicated and God fearing. I love a confident man, a gentleman who takes good care of himself and knows how to treat a lady with respect and love. Anything less than that is not worth it to me.

What turns you off and on?
 A man who is arrogant, cocky or a player turns me off. My turn on is a man who is gentle, intelligent, affectionate and romantic.

What is your most embarrassing moment?
 I was at an event and my zip popped. I had to find a way to discreetly go to the toilet to try and fix it. Unfortunately I was unable to sort it out but luckily my friend had a scarf, the only disadvantage was the fact that her scarf was bright yellow when my dress was pink. The clash in colours was extremely awkward.

Could you please give us a little insight into your family background?
 I am an only child, born and raised in London, England to parents from Ibusa, Delta State.

Out of your mum and dad, whom do you love most?
 I love them both but my mum is definitely my best friend.

What are your expectations in life?
 To be the very best that I can be and to achieve every goal that I have set out for myself while touching and inspiring the lives of others. My ultimate goal is to be a successful actress, entrepreneur and fashion mogul.

Who do you aspire to be like?
 Angelina Jolie, she is a huge inspiration. Her ability to immerse herself into any character that she is passionate about is definitely admirable. She possesses the qualities of a dedicated and disciplined actor. For these reasons alone, she inspires me.

Who is your role model?
 My mother. She is ambitious, strong and wise. There is nothing that my mother will face that she won’t overcome. She is definitely an amazing role model.

What has life taught you?
 It has taught me to always be positive, to always believe that I can and that I will. Most importantly, it has taught me to always put my faith in God because He will never let me down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Jersey, No Match...Short Film