‘I dumped my plum job to sing for God’


Chiediaka

 By NKECHI CHIMA-ONYELE
Upcoming singer, Esther Chiamaka Chiediaka, is a gospel singer with style. Recently, she celebrated the presentation of her album with notable stars like Yinka Davies, Lisa C, among others, present at the event. In an interview with Saturday Sun she spoke on her passion for singing as a calling, why she entitled her album Oba Ogo, and how she intends to take her music beyond the shores of our land. The Ohafia, Abia State-born singer further spoke on the secret of her marital bliss and marriage generally.

What actually inspired you to become a singer?
 Initially I never thought of going into music because I have been acting in a drama group called Parkers Heritage which, was a ministry. There I won two awards. One of the movies in which I featured was Forgotten People. In fact, it was after I joined my church choir that the passion for singing professionally developed. So, I released my first album entitled Oba Ogo, a single with six others like I Will Sing, I surrender, Receive My Praise, He Is Lord and Everything To Me.

What is the message in the song entitled Oba Ogo?
 It is basically a song of praise exhaulting God. It is just about lifting and appreciating God for who He is. It is a message reminding people about the greatest God in heaven and He is mightier than the mightiest. God rules in the affairs of men. I also go out on evangelism preaching to people about God on a daily basis except when I am occupied with other activities. I don’t relent in announcing to them that we have the rules of God.They live their lives without being cautious about God. They live their lives the way that pleases them without considering eternity, which is supposed to be on the mind of every Christian. Nobody knows when the rapture will take place, so it is advisable we do the will of God and stay away from sin. Though it is not easy but as a true Christian, repentance should be our watchword. I sing gospel music. The genre of the single track entitled Oba Ogo is pop mixed with African beats. I also sing jazz and R&B gospel genre of music.

How has your career as a gospel singer affected your life positively?
 I didn’t know singing was a calling from God because I took it as a talent throughout the 10 years of my training where I learnt so much about singing. I wrote so many songs but I felt discouraged writing because it was fruitless. So, I stopped writing songs and concentrated more on the realization of my dream as one of the notable gospel artistes in the music industry by making a difference with an album.

What were you doing before you ventured into music?
 I was working with an oil and gas company for some years as an administrator at the facility unit of the company, before I received the call of God for singing. Since I had passion for it, I had to leave my job because I cannot question God. It is one thing to earn a living and another to have a life, and I have found life which is happiness singing praises to God.

Are you married?
 I am happily married to the love of my life.

How did you meet your husband and what is the secret of a successful union?
 We met on December 26, 1996 precisely at a friend’s place when he visited the family. After the introduction, we started talking and eventually became friends. We courted for few years and to the glory of God we got married knowing we have found love. In fact, it has been wonderful being together. We celebrated our 12th marriage anniversary in August last year and our union is blessed with three wonderful kids. I appreciate God because He is behind every successful marriage because without God, the enemy may destroy what you have built for years. Another weapon is having love, tolerance and especially staying away from gossips, and wrong advisers. I also want to implore women especially to distinguish themselves by being employed or self-employed to support their family, because that is another way to earn respect from your husband. And there should be determination of building your family in a way that would be an example to others. Though every union suffers rough edges because you are from different backgrounds, but with all these virtues, you will have a successful marriage that would be the envy of others.

What were the challenges you encountered recording your album?
 Finance was the major problem because it is not cheap recording a song considering the amount paid for studio sections and rehearsals. Again, as a mother with children, it is not easy writing songs when you have children around you. In fact, I was always busy but I try to manage the home front with my musical career because they are very imperative aspect of my life.

What is your philosophy of life?
 Everybody is a divine investment from God because God created us with a purpose. You have to discover who you are to enable you to follow your footprint in life.

What are your future prospects?
 I hope to make a name in the Nigerian music industry and beyond with my latest single, Oba Ogo because the song is centred on giving hope to the hopeless. Many have testified how the song has touched their lives in different ways. However, I intend to release more albums in the nearest future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Jersey, No Match...Short Film