Fitness is a lifestyle — Kate Henshaw-Nuttal

By Kemi Ashefon     

It is needless saying that she is an A-list celebrity in the Nigerian entertainment industry. Kate Henshaw-Nuttal gets the attention in the society. Known to interpret her roles well, it is unbelievable that she read Medical Microbiology. “I have always loved to act,” she says excitedly. “It just happened and I found myself acting. That I read another course is a plus and I could make use of it whenever the need arises on set. I want to act till I die. My best time is when I am on set working with creative mind.”

Born July 19, 1971, the Cross River State born actress does not look like a 40-year-old! Wondering what her secrets are? “I am a gym freak,” she reveals. Just gym? No diet programme? “Well, I eat well and normally but there was a time I went on a diet before I got this figure. My breakfast is fruit salad. I carry cereal bars and eat whenever I feel like. For lunch, I take salad. Dinner? I eat chicken, beef and potatoes. There are times I skip lunch. I also go to the gym daily, where I spend three hours.

“You need to work out to make your body firm. Fitness is a lifestyle and once you are fit, your health problems are solved. I rarely take native dishes especially eba and pounded yam. Instead, I take soups.”

Kate is ever bubbly and you would think she always enjoys her celebrity status. Isn’t it? “Three years ago, I was in the car and spotted a woman selling beans on a street in Surulere, Lagos. I loved beans a lot and always carried a bowl in my booth to buy from food vendors. But when I instructed my driver to stop that I needed to buy beans, he reminded me of my celebrity status and why I should never be seen buying beans on the road! This is something I would have done years ago and nobody would have noticed me!

“First, I am Kate and feel I should not be restricted from doing what I love doing like buying corn and pears without paparazzi around. These are little pleasures that make you happy,” she notes.

This brings to fore the pains attached to the pleasure of being a celebrity. “I hate this tag called celeb! I want to be myself and that is what matters to me and my family.”

Remind her that she makes enough money with her status and she replies: “I don’t make enough money. Money made by so-called celebrities goes to many avenues. An example is fashion. If I wear a dress to a red carpet event or any ordinary event, my pictures are taken. If I now decide wearing that dress again, the press goes agog with the news that I am repeating clothes and that I am broke! So, I keep spending money on clothes, accessories (I love shoes) and I have loads of clothes I cannot wear again. There was a time City People helped organise an auction for me where I sold a part of my wardrobe and diverted the money to charity. Now, I keep spending money on clothes that I cannot wear again. Oftentimes, these dresses are so nice that everyone recognises them whenever you are in them.

“Not just that, whenever I have an invite, I would have lined up like 20 dresses from which I make a choice. Why? You are the cynosure of eyes at any function. Woe betide you if there is a colour code and you don’t have that colour. You go ahead and buy something new.”

So, how much does she spend on a dress? She answers, “Maybe 1,500 pounds and I remember buying a dress for 2,500 pounds. For shoes, I spend so much because I have big feet and whenever I stumble on good pairs, I quickly grab them, not minding the cost.”

But for the fact that she lost the Glo endorsement deal lately, she would have been smiling to the bank. She quickly interjects and says: “I read on the newspaper that I was no longer a Glo ambassador, just as you read. I was not officially called to inform me but just got calls from friends and colleagues on what was written in the papers.

“Well, I have chosen not to talk about it because I believe the company knows what it wants and has the prerogative to choose who sells their products. This is my fourth year with Onga, a seasoning brand and I am enjoying it. I have so many things to do now that I don’t allow anything to bother me.”

Being married to a foreigner is also a plus to her career. “He supports me and he is very understanding. When not on set, I try to spend time at home and really be the mother my daughter needs.

Any regret? “No, I have hurt because the press will always write what I didn’t do. They splash these scandals on their magazines and everyone believes the lies,” she replies.

Still on scandals, Kate states: “Before, I used to be very guarded but now I do what makes me happy as long as I am not hurting anyone. I can’t please everybody.”

She also talks on wrong perception of some fans: “It is hard when people talk about you without knowing who you are. If you don’t recognise somebody, it’s a crime. If you don’t smile too well, you are in trouble. There was a youth programme organised by President Jonathan campaign team. The hall was full and getting inside was difficult. Imagine someone trying to greet me when I was struggling to collect my tag at the entrance. He concludes that I am proud.”

So how does she feel at 40? “I feel alive! I feel good enough to declare my age and I am happy to flaunt it. In fact, I feel 10 years younger,” she enthuses.

Despite the pains behind fame, Kate still thinks: “I am human but I appreciate Nigerians because they also appreciate our works. People could go to any extent to identify with their stars. I was surprised when a fan approached me and said he had my number. Guess how he got it? He told me he paid someone N20,000 for it!”

She loves to dance and spends her leisure watching films. “I also love shopping and I read books. I love travels but recently, I have stopped shopping because I have some projects on hand, which I’m doing for the underprivileged.”

Kate admits loving designer labels but her body and complexion take more of her attention. “I go to the spa, have massage once every week and do my facials. Cream? I don’t rub any special cream but I get from the body shop. I scrub my body once a week. A fashionable woman is one, who knows how to put things together, top-to-toe. She is a complete package and knows how to mix and match and still looks like a billion dollars.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Jersey, No Match...Short Film