Asa takes on 5 questions

Bukola 'Asa' Elemide was having more fun on her last album 'Beautiful Imperfection' than the debut and ever better styled, which she agrees on, courtesy AfriPop!
Q1: What are your favourite imperfections?
Asa: There are many [she laughs]. Well, that is how I used to see myself but my attitude is changing. As I grow older I find that the things I do not like about myself are not seen by other people in the same way. I think I can be a bit hard on myself sometimes but when people say nice things about my music, that it is wonderful. I don’t see my music as perfect but I don’t want it to be. In life, the best thing you can do is be yourself.

Q2: Why are there so many love songs on this album?

I think it’s because I am in love with life. I am embracing all the changes I have experienced and I am writing about them. My first album was quite political and I will never stop talking about the things I see around me – the corruption, the suffering, the bad leadership – but politics can be tiring. Politicians keep making promises they do not keep and it is very sad.

Q3: Did you feel much pressure to follow up the success of your first album?

I was very fortunate because my first album was successful but sometimes artists feel pressure to match that success. If I am being honest, if there was any pressure with the second album it came from me because I wanted to challenge myself. I wanted to see what more I could do. Before I started to record the album I had absolutely no idea of what kind of record I was going to make but I knew that I did not want to do the same thing as before. Am I happy with what I’ve done? Yes, very happy.

Q4: Do you prefer performing or recording?
I love all parts of the musical process but I think my favourite has to be touring. I have been promoting this album since February and we will be playing dates in Europe until October. When I was in the studio I was excited because I was working with some really incredible musicians so there wasn’t that much stress. The only stress came from the delays and the traveling. But the recording process wasn’t that hard. But now that I have finished the album I feel energised. I love to perform. I want to come on stage every night and give 150 percent to the people. I am excited to create new songs, to try out new things and to be spontaneous – whatever the night has to offer me, I just go with it and have fun.

Q5: This is less of a question and more of a comment. You are a pretty good dancer!
People are used to seeing me sitting down with a guitar so I think they were surprised with the song and video for Be My Man which is quite lively but I love to dance! It’s a part of me, just like music. When I was a kid I was always dancing and I always took the prize at every party I went to. Seriously! I learned to play instruments much later. Dance and song are my first love. I also enjoy coming into contact with people, sharing a unique moment with them on stage. There is nothing like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Jersey, No Match...Short Film