Quintessentially, Naturally AY

ONE of Nigeria’s comedy’s golden boys and multiple award-winning artiste, Ayo Richard Makun, popularly known as AY, is a cool dude who knows what good looks is all about. He always makes the ‘wow factor´ each time he graces the red carpet.

A factor that has put him ahead of his contemporaries in style is his use of accessory; with which he has created his personal identity.

“Style is really a blend of what you wear and how you carry yourself,” he says.

Letting AY groove

Look natural and distinct

Try to look good in natural and distinctive way. Always look good when you are out of your home. Make it an attitude rather than a set of codes and with time, it defines your person.

Define your style

“Style is a combination of innovative ideas that must standout in the crowd,” he says.  “It’s the incorporation of well guided colours and trends that defines my personality.”

Invest in shoes

The first thing often noticed in a man is his shoes. It says a lot about how you pay attention to the minute details. For AY, his shoes are his favourite fashion pieces. “I’m a strong believer in having quality shoe wardrobe. Having a classic shoe wardrobe is very important for anybody that is in my kind of business,” he adds. “They help to define my class whenever I’m on stage.  Shoes are great investments. If you buy quality shoes, they will last for a long time.”

Wonders of accessories

Clothes may complete your look, but accessories complete your clothes; so, they are very important for your wardrobe.  Basic accessories such as belts, wristwatches, hats and sunglasses can lift your look from drab to fab; hence, they are must-haves in the wardrobe. “My favourite accessories start from my sunglasses, which help to enhance my overall personality. My belt and wristwatch also help to liven up my ensemble,” he enthuses.

Get a well-detailed designer

“Yomi Casual is my favourite designer. He also doubles as one of my stylists. He pays attention to details. The very minute I get on the red carpet the presenters are usually the first set of people to tell me what I am wearing because they always recognise his very unique and creative designs.”

 Bulgaria and Guess it is

When it comes to sunglasses, Bulgaria wins AY’s heart. He adds, “the frames are well crafted with intricate details. They help create a level that transcends time and passing trends. More so, I don’t play with my leading lifestyle collection of Guess wristwatches because of their high standards aside maintaining a driving artistic force in the fashion world.”

Let your fashion pieces compliment the occasion

“I honestly cannot tell which is the most expensive fashion item in my closet. They may or may not worth all the dollars, pounds and Naira, but the most important thing is that they are worth all the compliments that I get on different occasions.”


Take your red carpet look serious

AY believes that the red carpet is a place where fashion rules must be taken seriously; so, he tries so hard to keep on point without necessarily trying to over-impress. He says, “But I always coordinate myself by dressing to suit the occasion.”

Let your occasion speak

Always remember there’s a time and place for everything. Dress according to the occasion and dress code. The occasion determines Ay’s look.

Good to have a stylish spouse

“My wife is my stylist and with her Midas touch, my style turns to instant fashion statement.”


Fashion faux pas?

“Brown shoes on black belt, too many colours on a guy could be irritating. More so, people should stop wearing winter clothes during summer or wearing socks in a sandal.”

The power of Johnson

My same old Baby Pearls and my traditional Johnson and Johnson powder from the day my mum gave birth to me has been my power.

Place comfort before fashion

Always place comfort before fashion. Comfort is important both at the physical and emotional level. “Wow people with your taste and individuality, not your spending power. Designer clothes are great; they keep you in style and up on the current trends, but choose your pieces based on how they look on you, not just for the label. Considered as one of the best-dressed celebrity comes with a good feeling. The last time I got that was when I won the best-dressed student in Delta State University back to back for two years. Taking it too seriously might ruin your ensemble.  But I always do my best to look great by keeping it classic or trendy.”

Mix 'n' Match

The ability to mix and match colours makes a man even more appealing. For AY, “My favourite colour is blue. Blue is calming, it can be strong and steadfast or light and friendly. Almost everyone likes some shade of the colour.”



Shop anywhere

“My fashion shopping is done anywhere.  From online to the street of Lagos and any country I visit.” He continues, “my favourite shopping boutiques are Westminster UK, Zara shop in UK and Yomi Casual showroom, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos.

Always smell good

A man who smells good is an added bonus to being well dressed. AY loves Paco Rabanne One Million Fragrance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Jersey, No Match...Short Film