I love shoes – Mo Chedda

BY JEMI EKUNKUNBOR
Mo cheda
It wasn’t too long when she shot into our consciousness performing at all girls musical shoe, Girl Power. But since winning the Best New Act award by MTV Africa Awards, Mo Chedda has certainly come into her own.

She is young, smart with a sense of style that draws a second look. With her music, Mo Chedda sure knows how to keep her audience spell bound with creative dance steps that only Mo Chedda knows how to do.

Born Modupe Ola, the amiable hip hop and rap artist, is the fourth of five children. The final year Creative Arts student of the University of Lagos, will graduate later in the year and hopes to face her music career fully. Here, she talks about her work and sense of style.

How has it been since Girl Power?
It’s been fantastic. It’s been a whirlwind because everything is happening at the same time and you have to take this opportunity and go with it. Every minute means something and I can’t afford to miss it for the world. I get called at short notices. Sometimes, I’m sleeping or planning to go on a short holiday, and they are like, “come back, come back, you have something on Wednesday you have to be down. So everything is going really fast and I’m taking it as it comes.

How have you improved on your appearance since you became a public figure?
My parents brought me up to be my own person. They let you do whatever it is you wanted to do to see what you are capable of. They will caution you when you go too far but they will not curb you and say, “don’t do that’. So with the way I dress, I do my own, nothing has changed.

What is your life in fashion like?
Like I said earlier, I do what I want to do. Today, I felt like wearing shorts on tights, here I am. I just do what I want to do. I can come here in my Pyjamas and perform if I wanted to because it’s me, I’m selling my music and my voice. It happens that I look good as well but you know, I dress the way I want to dress. I love to dress up I won’t lie to you. I like to layer, I love colours.

What are your favourite fashion items?
I love shorts because of our weather. I love pumps, I have so many pumps its outrageous. I love perfumes, I love jackets, I love waist coats, waists belts. Almost everything I wear, I put a waist belt on it. My sisters some times are like common, do you have to put a belt on everything? I love broaches, big earrings, big rings, I love big wristwatches.

How would you describe your style then?
It is an outward expression of who I am on the inside. You see me dressed up and all colourful and playful, that’s how I am on the inside.

What won’t you wear in the name of fashion?
I won’t wear fur. I think its ugly and for our weather, it’s just not good for us. I don’t think I’d do fur except I’m on the cover of Vogue.

What’s on your wish list?
It would be to meet Kimora Lee one day. She is somebody who I love to pieces. I think we would hit it off when we meet because I think I’m like her in so many ways. I’d really like not just to meet her but to be her friend.

What would you spend your last kobo to buy?
It would be pumps! I love shoes. It would be the first things that would come to mind especially colourful ones because I love colours.

Have you had one of those fashion bad days?
Everybody has a bad day. A day when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, your make up is bad, your hair is bad. I have days like that. So I know when I don’t look good. Since I like to do my own thing, what I wear shouldn’t be anybody’s business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Jersey, No Match...Short Film